Missoula Walk for Wishes Director
Date Revised: 11/2017
Reports To: CEO
Status: Part time, approximately 16 hours per week. Starts January 2018
Job Location: Missoula, MT
Walk for Wishes: The Walk for Wishes (WFW) program is a fundraising event that raises money to grant wishes. The majority of fundraising is done online through a dedicated WFW website. Participants are encouraged to register and fundraise in teams. Teams are broken down into types; the most common are Wish Families, Friends/Family, Corporate and Community/School teams. Walk day is a walk event that is a celebration of fundraising efforts and current/future wishes to be granted with the funds raised by this event.
The Walk for Wishes Director works with the CEO, Make-A-Wish Montana staff and volunteers to put on the first annual Walk for Wishes in Missoula, MT, June of 2018. The Walk Director is responsible for building and implementing a strategy to ensure event is successfully developed to achieve the targeted revenue goals. The Walk Director recruits, trains, and manages fundraising volunteers for the walk including a Walk for Wishes committee and Chair. The Walk Director secures sponsorships and recruits walk teams to achieve revenue goals. The walk director works closely with staff logistics lead to ensure a successful Walk for Wishes event.
- Work closely with CEO to design and implement a comprehensive strategic Walk for Wishes fundraising plan to ensure revenue goals are achieved and a base is set for continued, annual growth.
- Recruit and manage special event committees including Walk for Wishes Chair, sponsorship committee, team recruitment committee and event logistics committee.
- Secure and recognize corporate sponsorship for the walk to achieve sponsorship goals.
- Establish an annual corporate partnership program for walk with a tailored and customized ask for each corporation.
- Secure and recognize walk teams from corporate, wish families, volunteers, friends and family, University and school teams. Coach and encourage teams to set and achieve targeted revenue goals.
- Work closely with CEO to strengthen and expand donor, sponsor, volunteer and walk team base.
- Provide direction and oversee volunteer fundraising committee, assist with event scheduling, planning, production and develop event budget. Maintain accurate records of all in-kind and monetary donations. Be point of contact for event inquiries from donors and the general public.
- Ensure contracts are complete, provide Make-A-Wish ® representation at event, and recognizing donor following event.
- Utilize donor information systems to track donor relationship and follow up in addition to ensuring timely, accurate acknowledgement and recording of gifts.
- Establish cohesive relationship with media to ensure dissemination of information pertaining to wishes and event to encourage awareness of the mission. Ensure that a positive and consistent message is maintained through all communications.
- BS/BA degree preferred in related field, minimum 2 years non-profit walk implementation experience and/or nonprofit fundraising or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills.
- Strong project management and time management skills with proven ability to work within tight timelines and limited budgets.
- Professional and polished image. Ability to work comfortably with people of diverse interests and backgrounds, with volunteers and community leaders.
- Ability to motivate and support a diverse constituency in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Energetic and creative attitude with a strong customer-service orientation, enthusiasm for the mission of Make-A-Wish®, and willingness to fully contribute to a team-oriented, fast-paced, high-functioning organization.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office applications and Blackbaud or similar donor management software.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends and to travel within Chapter territory.